50% of online users are looking for Online Recipes
We recently wrote a blog called Recipes for 50% which talked about how some research by JupiterResearch which indicated that 50% of online users are looking for food and cooking information online. Since then we’ve been told about some research from Nielsen’s NetRatings, which like Jupiter has determined that the most popular food related activity online is searching for recipes. So I thought we’d go a little bit deeper into this trend and look at why consumers are heading online to search for recipes and how advertisers can reap the rewards of this trend.
So why are consumers moving online to find recipes? Well there is no doubt that consumers prefer to search and find recipes online opposed to ploughing through cookbooks to find a recipe.
Searching for Online Recipes is quick and easy, but other reasons include;
- Cost – nearly every online recipe site is free
- Video Recipes – More and more recipes sites are now including videos on how to cook particular recipes. So instead of trying to workout how to create a particular recipe, you can site and watch the recipe being created first then make it yourself.
- Recipe Authors – The majority of recipe websites publisher user generated recipes which are created by everyday cooks opposed to chefs. As such most recipes online tend to have a family focus opposed to a fine dining experience.
- Social interaction – many recipes sites allow you rate recipes their. Consumers who have cooked recipes previously can provide comments and suggestions about the recipes, helping you steer away from recipes that don’t work.
- Extensive choice - there are literally hundreds of thousands if not millions of recipes online compared to the 100 or so in a cookbook. You can compare recipe against recipe and determine the ones that look the best.
- Search by ingredients – For people that have an ingredient in the cupboard or fridge they want to use. On most recipe sites they allow you to search by that particular ingredient showing recipes that use the ingredient.
So how can food companies reach this audience of food consumers and household grocery buyers. We know because of our audience profiling at Gourmet Ads that people that visit online recipe sites tend to be the household grocery buyer. As such advertising along side recipes can have a significant effect on sales at the supermarket. Gourmet Ads can develop a strategically placed advertising campaign where you’re advertising is place along side Online Recipes.